• Jake Vanags
  • "Best Unexpected Event While Traveling?"

Jake Vanags

Los Angeles, California

Best Unexpected Event While Traveling?

What is one of your favorite travel memories that happened completely unexpectedly. Maybe from the kindness of strangers? Maybe a random adventure? I know it might be hard to pick just one!

• Sloan Smith

Traveled with a friend once to a small village in Poland. By small, I mean one street lined with houses, a store, bus stop and a cemetery.

My friend was looking for relatives that were from the area. Not a Polish speaker he had printed off a translation of his mission.

We go to the cemetery and find a few ancestors. Determined that the family line is still in the area we walk to the store. No one speaks a word of english. They laugh at the translation and off we go. We decide to wait for the next bus that comes through, meanwhile we can see people looking at us through their windows. An older gentleman approaches us and conveys that he would like us to follow him.

We are welcomed into a house and given hot whiskey drinks. eventually the man's son arrives and speaks english. They are my friends relatives! They have pictures as well as old letters from generations passed.

The day ended with a ride back to the Train Station. I'll always remember these people's generosity and willingness to open their home to family and a stranger they had never seen before. Since then I've never let a language barrier put me off or stop me from trying to connect.

• Jake V.

Jake V.

Love this! · (0 likelikes)

• Lizzie C.

Lizzie C.

What a great story. My mom wants to visit distant relatives in Poland as well, but I doubt we'll have your friend's luck in finding them! · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sloan a Thank You Note