Courtney Robinson

Los Angeles, California

Don't miss spots in Berlin

I may be in Paris later this year and I'm thinking about taking a side trip to Berlin. I'll only be there for a few days at most so I'd love to know what the don't miss attractions are. Would love ideas for hotels (clean and cheap are my only real requirements) and restaurants, too, if possible. 

• Bekah Wright

Berliner Unterwelten is very interesting. Their “Subways, Bunkers and the Cold War” tour showcases the city’s underground infrastructure along with its evolution and use during WWII, the Cold War and today. Quite fascinating!

TV Tower - When it comes to overviews of Berlin, none are quite as expansive as the Fernsehturm, or Television Tower at Alexanderplatz. Head to the viewing platform where you can look out over the city at other potential itinerary stops such Berliner Dom, Checkpoint Charlie, Charlottenburg Palace and the Sony Center.

Speaking of Sony Center - Taking in Germany's architecture is an event unto itself, the Sony Center is a great example of this. There's something to dazzle the eye at every turn and great green areas to enjoy all around.

Holocaust Memorial - The Holocaust Memorial is located just steps beyond Brandenburg Gate. Designed by Peter Eisenman, the 2711 dark granite stelae represent the six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust.

Tiergarten - Abutting the Banhof Zoo, this rambling park has lakeside pathways along with many statues and memorials to be discovered.

Reichstag - My admiration of Germany's architecture is due to locales like this one. There's so much to take in that goes beyond history and current usage. Proximity to other sites is also excellent.

This is a little obvious, but the Berlin Wall. Look for a double row of square stones running throughout Berlin. These stones mark where the Berlin Wall stood until its demise in 1989. Along the path are crosses and photos memorializing those killed while trying to cross the wall.

1. Berliner Unterwelten (attraction)
    2. TV Tower (attraction)
    3. Sony Center (attraction)
    4. Holocaust Memorial (attraction)
    5. Tiergarten (attraction)
    6. Reichstag (attraction)
    7. Berlin Wall (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Bekah a Thank You Note