• Shrirang Joshi
  • "As a first timer how long should one spend in Berlin?"

Shrirang Joshi

Pune, India

As a first timer how long should one spend in Berlin?

Next summer we plan to visit Munich, Rome, Paris and Berlin in one trip. I have already received tips on Rome.

Can someone suggest how long do we need in Berlin to get a feel of the city? We are history fans.

• Berlin (city)

Berlin Berlin

• Checkpoint Charlie (attraction)

Friedrichstr. 43-45 Berlin 10969 4930253725

• Tiergarten (attraction)

87 Alt-Moabit Berlin Berlin 10559

• Tiffany Weber

I spent 4 days in Berlin and it was amazing and packed with activity and left me wanting more. If I were to go again, I'd spend a week. It also depends on your interests as well. If you're interested in history and/or museums, the city is so rich with those that you definitely need some extra time. If you can escape the city to see some of the things outside it like the Charlottenburg Palace , that would truly make a wonderful trip.

I saw the the Brandenburg Gate , the Tiergarten with its wonderful zoo (really, you could spend an entire day here enjoying the beautiful gardens and zoo), the Holocaust Memorial in one day while also enjoying parts of the Berlin Wall near Potsdamer Platz and visiting the shopping areas along the Kurfürstendamm am Adenauerplatz areas. KaDeWe is a fabulous shop there - pricy, but iconic. You'll also see the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church which is gorgeous.

You can spend another full day exploring the area around Checkpoint Charlie with the Checkpoint Charlie Musuem and huge parts of the original wall and a lovely outdoor display of the sad history there. The Jewish Museum Berlin is serious, but beautifully done and is in that area as well.

I love the shopping areas and beautiful streets around the Hackescher Markt . It's an easy walk at the end of Oranienburger Straße where there's an amazing old post office building that was once had stables inside for the postal horses. There's also a beautiful Neue Synagoge | New Synagogue there with tours available and a nice view from the top. We ate at the Oranium restaurant on the corner and loved our meal. Great ambience there. The entire area is just a nice place to wander, shop, eat, and explore so many historical details.

The area around Alexanderplatz is a great area to explore as well. Enjoy the fountains and buildings, see Marienkirche and the DEMOS Gesellschaft für E-Partizipation tower. Walk past the Berlin Rathaus , then, while facing it, continue behind it and to the right where you'll find a darling little district of tiny streets, great restaurants, and fun boutique shopping.

The artsy areas around Berlin Schonhauser Allee and Kastanienallee are fun - many more little cafes, traditional German ambiance, and some great artists and designers. I like Bracas Coffee for a good cup of coffee on Kastanienallee. You'll find an old Biergarten Prater Garten there as well and many other little historical landmarks (look in the space under the U-Bahn where Shoenhauser meets Danziger... my grandmother played ball there growing up.)

Anyway, I saw all this and a bit more in 4 days while toting around 4 kids, so you can do a lot in 4. Still, if you have the luxury of time, add a couple more days. In my time, I walked by Museum Island , but didn't have time to enter a single one and only saw the Berliner Dom from the outside.

Look for the bear statues! There was one on Unter den Linden - a gallery of them there too with miniatures to view and purchase. Cute souvenirs... kids love the hunt.

• Shrirang J.

Shrirang J.

Thanks. · (0 likelikes)

1. Berlin (city)
    2. Charlottenburg Palace (attraction)
    3. Brandenburg Gate (attraction)
    4. Tiergarten (attraction)
    5. Holocaust Memorial (attraction)
    6. Berlin Wall (attraction)
    7. Potsdamer Platz (attraction)
    8. Kurfürstendamm am Adenauerplatz (attraction)
    9. KaDeWe (attraction)
    10. Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (attraction)
    11. Checkpoint Charlie (attraction)
    12. Checkpoint Charlie Museum (attraction)
    13. Jewish Museum Berlin (attraction)
    14. Hackescher Markt (attraction)
    15. Oranienburger Strasse (attraction)
    16. Neue Synagoge (attraction)
    17. Oranium (restaurant)
    18. Alexanderplatz (attraction)
    19. St. Mary's Church (attraction)
    20. DEMOS Gesellschaft für E-Partizipation (attraction)
    21. Berlin Rathaus (attraction)
    22. Berlin Schonhauser Allee (attraction)
    23. Bracas Coffee (restaurant)
    24. Prater Garten (restaurant)
    25. Museum Island (attraction)
    26. Berliner Dom (attraction)
    27. Unter den Linden (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tiffany a Thank You Note