• Ami Wuschnig
  • "Belize in May- Ambergris Caye or Placencia"

Ami Wuschnig

Manhattan Beach, California

Belize in May- Ambergris Caye or Placencia

Heading to Belize in early May. Trying to decide between Placencia or Ambergris Caye. I'd like to do both but not sure we want to keep going back and forth to Belize City to get to the other area. Unfortunately we won't be able to scuba or possibly even snorkel since I'm pregnant, but would like to relax and maybe do a few light excursions. Both areas look beautiful. We'll prob leave from LAX for 5-6 days. Is this too short or too long for either area?

• Richard K.

Richard K.

I would recommend Placencia over Ambergris Caye if you're looking to relax and you can't dive. Placencia is further from the reef so it makes diving more expensive, however it's way less crowded than Ambergris and it has a lot more public beach area if you're looking to take it easy. We visited both last year before we decided to move in April to Placencia. 6 days should be enough time. Hope that helps Richard · (0 likelikes)

• Ross Sparks

5-6 days is a short amount of time. and both places take time to get to. you will be losing 2 of those days in travel, getting to and from destination. I would say Placencia is out, it's very nice but not as easy to get to as ambergris. These places are very different, if it was my preg wife I'd stick to ambergris as well. It might be the most expensive of anywhere I've been in Central America though (Tourists are afraid of foreign buga buga languages and will pay to avoid it.). I like Caye Caulker better but it doesn't have as much activities as Ambergris Caye. Also we took a sailboat trip to swim/snorkel with sharks, my wife is scared of sharks? So she stayed on the boat but had a great day on the water without swimming had lunch and drinks on a private island, was very nice. I love that that bun in the oven isn't holding you back! Have fun

• Ami W.

Ami W.

thanks Ross! Do you think we need to add a day or 2 if we just go to Amergris Caye? (maybe we can try and get to Caye Caulker too by water taxi) Love traveling so can't let the bump hold me back :) · (0 likelikes)

• Ami W.

Ami W.

Ross, any chance you know of or can recommend any excursion companies for diving, boating, etc? · (0 likelikes)

1. Caye Caulker (island)
    2. Ambergris Caye (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ross a Thank You Note