Ami Wuschnig

Manhattan Beach, California

Where to fly into Belize

Flying from LAX, trying to figure out which airport to fly into and what area to stay in. Would like beach/rainforest (maybe the ability to drive to both if we can't find something that has both)

• Ted Sheets

I have spent months traveling and studying in BelizeBelize and have to tell you that everyone is very friendly and willing to help out. Like any place, you should keep your eyes open but the Belizean culture is like no other. The only option is to fly into Belize CityBelize City from LAX. From Belize City airport you have many options. You can get a plane ticket on Tropic Air out to the cayes (Ambergris Caye, BelizeAmbergris is the most popular tourist destination). I would recommend Caye CaulkerCaye Caulker or flying down to PlacenciaPlacencia. If you go to Placencia, there are some amazing towns nearby. HopkinsHopkins is by far my favorite. You could just simply grab a cab for $20 US to the local boat taxi in Belize City. For $25 round trip, they will take you on a power boat out to the islands (Ambergris or Caye Caulker). Find out the departure times here: http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/ You might be able to arrange to make it right on time from the airport so you don't have to walk around in Belize City. Not a lot to do especially with luggage.

If you want to mix in the jungle adventures and see Mayan ruins, I would recommend flying out to San Ignacio, CayoSan Ignacio which is close to the Guatemala border. You can also rent a car at the Belize City airport or take a taxi or bus. The Belize Zoo is along the Western Highway and is a great stop if you decide to drive. From San Ignacio you can stay in 5 start resorts in the jungle (Gaia River Lodge http://www.gaiariverlodge.com/ in the Mountain Pine Ridge) or you can find inexpensive accommodations. You can find great tourist companies who can arrange fantastic trips to local ruins (Caracol Maya RuinsCaracol, XunantunichXunantunich and others). You can even hire them to do a day trip to Tikal National ParkTikal in Guatemala while stopping through the island town of FloresFlores. A friend of mine actually is running a neat eco-tourism company called Nine Belize. Find out more about it here: http://www.ninebelize.com/

If you want to immerse yourself in the culture, head to Southern Belize and stay in Punta Gorda (Belize)Punta Gorda. PG is not your typical tourist destination. You can experience Mayan villages (some of them have electricity and running water while others don't). There are also some amazing Mayan ruins in Southern Belize one of which is Lubaantun where they found the Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull. You can also jump on a boat to Guatemala from PG.

These are just a few tips but there is soooo much to do in Belize. These ideas will help point you in the right direction. I envy your excursion!

• Ami W.

Ami W.

Ted S. Thank you so much! Just wanted to get your opinion. I'll be 5-6mo pregnant when we go on our trip. I'd like to go Amergris Caye, what would your other top 2 areas be that would be easy to get to? (whether we fly or boat) I know its Belize is a great scuba area, but doubt I'll be able to do that. haha. Was toying with going to Cancun or Talum, but maybe its best to just stay in Belize and go to 2-3 spots? I appreciate all your help! · (0 likelikes)

• Ami W.

Ami W.

oh, and if there are any places you recommend to stay at that are around $200 or so a night. · (0 likelikes)

• Ted S.

Ted S.

I would recommended just staying in Belize but I do hear that Talum is amazing. There are so many great places to stay on Ambergris with prices under $200. It depends if you want to be close to town or a little farther away. I have stayed in the Victoria House http://www.victoria-house.com/ (farther) and Ramon's Village (closer). Should be able to find something in that price range there. As far as two other spots...I would seriously recommend going to Caye Caulker which can be accessed by boat from Ambergris. Again, just buy a round trip boat taxi ticket from Ambergris to Caye Caulker. It is like 45 min boat ride. Very chill island. You can stay there or just head back after a day trip. Then, since you want to experience some jungle, fly to San Ignacio. I haven't been to Belize in about 7 years now so I am not sure how the higher end accommodations are in San Ignacio. There are a couple locations just outside of town that are high end and from there you can arrange for a tour of some of the ruins or, if you are feeling up to it, cave tubing or walking. Check out Ka'ana http://www.kaanabelize.com/kaana-luxury-resort?gclid=CO6Kx-OK5bwCFRRufgod3Y8ATg If you are going for a week, I would recommend maybe two days in San Ignacio and the rest on the islands. · (1 likelikes)

1. Belize (country)
    2. Belize City (city)
    3. Ambergris Caye, Belize (attraction)
    4. Caye Caulker (island)
    5. Placencia (city)
    6. Hopkins (city)
    7. San Ignacio, Cayo (attraction)
    8. Caracol Maya Ruins (attraction)
    9. Xunantunich (attraction)
    10. Tikal National Park (park)
    11. Flores (city)
    12. Punta Gorda (Belize) (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ted a Thank You Note