• Aerin Birkeland
  • "Best towns in Belgium that are closest to Germany for a weekend trip?"

Aerin Birkeland

Santa Barbara, California

Best towns in Belgium that are closest to Germany for a weekend trip?

I want to visit Belgium for a weekend from Frankfurt, but I'm lost at what town to visit during this short trip! Not really looking for any kind of night life, but more relaxing things to do, like sight seeing, great restaurants and bakeries. What towns would you suggest and what is the best transportation there from Frankfurt?

• Bruges (city)

Bruges Vlaams Gewest

• Brussels (city)

Brussels

• Ghent (city)

Ghent

• Elliott Lowen

You can divide Belgium into three distinct area:

Flanders - The northern, Dutch-speaking region of the country. It includes well known cities like Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges. The Flemish provinces are (from west to east): West-Flanders, East-Flanders, Antwerp, Flemish-Brabant and Limburg.

Brussels - The bilingual capital region of the country and headquarters of the EU.

Walloon Region - The southern, French-speaking region, incorporating a small German speaking region in the east near the German border. The Walloon provinces are (from west to east): Hainaut, Walloon Brabant, Namur, Liège and Luxembourg.

Based on you travelling from Frankfurt, I would concentrate on the Walloon region. Here are my suggestions, based on your interest in great sights, restaurants and bakeries:

Binche - Walled town that is famous for its carnival, cool bakeries and restaurants. The city itself, being walled, is your main sight.

Dinant — A small town with a cathedral and citadel in a stunning natural setting on the Meuse river, Dinant is a popular spot for adventure sports such as canoeing and rock-climbing which best visited in winter.

Liege (German: Lüttich) — The cultural hub of Wallonia - which sits on the banks of the wide river Meuse - is a many sided city that is definitely worth visiting if you are in Belgium. A mix of architecture from the middle ages to the present, a dramatic setting, exciting night-life, a number of museums, and varied natural surroundings.

Mons(Dutch: Bergen)- Also known as the ´Bruges of Wallonia´, Mons´ historic centre is simply stunning!

Tournai (Dutch: Doornik)- The oldest town in Belgium along with Tongeren, Tournai is a pleasant town on the banks of the Escaut (Scheldt) with an impressive four-towered cathedral.

TournaiMonsLiegeDinantBinche

When eating in Belgium, there are must-have dishes you will find in each of these towns:

Chicon Au Gratin / Gegratineerde witloof - Made with endives, each piece is wrapped in a slice of ham, topped with béchamel sauce and blanketed in melted cheese

Moules-frites / Mosselen-friet - Have a a big bowl of mussels with a plate of Belgian fries. Because once you've finished the mussels, the white wine broth that's left in the bottom of the bowl is the best thing to tip fried potatoes in.

Gaufre / Wafel - Belgian waffles are nothing like what you find in North America. The most common waffle you can find in Belgium is called the Liege waffle. It's richer and denser than other waffles because it's made with buttery brioche dough and chunks of pearl sugar that caramelize on the crust when cooked. They're AWESOME.

Chocolate - Chocolate fans, this is the country where you belong. There are over 2,000 chocolatiers (!!!) in Belgium. And it's all excellent thanks to an 1884 Belgian law that regulates the composition of its chocolate. The chocolate alone is a worth making the trip to this country. Seriously.

Beer - Belgium beer is usually produced by small and medium breweries. Focus in on the Flemish reds to lambics, dubbels to blondes, you won't be able to try them all. But you should definitely try.

1. Flanders (region)
    2. Brussels (city)
    3. Walloon Region (state)
    4. Binche (city)
    5. Dinant (city)
    6. Liege (city)
    7. Mons (city)
    8. Tournai (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Elliott a Thank You Note