• anggun mahdi
  • "Songkran Festival and what to do in bangkok"

anggun mahdi

Jakarta, Indonesia

Songkran Festival and what to do in bangkok

i'm coming to bangkok on 14th April 2014. I will arrive in the second day of the songkran festival, will it be still possible to follow the festival? And would appreciate it if anyone could give some suggestions on what to do in Bangkok.

• Courtney Robinson

I've never been there during the festival, but I can give you ideas for things to do. In my opinion, Bangkok is one of those rare cities where the main, most popular attractions are the best things to see. Here are a few of my faves:

Wat Pho - I literally spent about an hour just examining the feet of this temple's famous reclining Buddha. It might be the most incredible tourist attraction I've ever seen--the Buddha is about a football field long and is just this glowing gold. Make sure you take note of the amazing murals and art on the walls of the temple.

Wat Phoimage from Arun Temple of the Dawn - I don't know if this is true or not but the bartender at the hotel I was staying in told me that in the days when all trade was done by ship, Thai traders needed something to balance the ship after selling all their wares so they bought tons of cups and saucers and brought them back on the boat and eventually covered Wat Arun with them. I have to say that after hearing this I took careful note of the temple and the mosaics covering it did look like they were from old cups and saucers. BTW--the climb up here is extremely steep, so if heights aren't your thing I would not go up. Also, the best, easiest way here, if you're coming from far away is by boat--takes half the time that taking a taxi does. Wat Arun Temple of the Dawnimage from flickr.comGrand Palace - you could easily spend an entire day here and not see it all so plan accordingly. This place is an amazing complex of palaces and temples, each of which has it's own special vibe so be sure to see all or at least most of them. There's a great textile museum here, too called Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles that is really worth seeing--you probably know this but Thailand has some of the most beautiful textiles in the world--don't miss this!Queen Sirikit Museum of TextilesGrand PalaceOne of the most incredible restaurants I've ever been to in my life is in Bangkok--it's called Breeze. Not only is it one of the most amazing places I've ever been visually speaking, the food here is incredible. BreezeSpeaking of food, one of the most interesting things about Bangkok is that some of the best food can be found at the mall. There are several malls in the city, but to me the best one for food is the Siam Center which is basically across the street from the Siam Paragon shopping center. Terminal 21 is another good one.

If you want to try a traditional Thai massage, the Health Land Spa chain is very reliable, although if you haven't made a reservation it can be a long wait so be prepared. Health Land Spaimage from

1. Wat Pho (attraction)
    2. Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn (attraction)
    3. Grand Palace (attraction)
    4. Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles (attraction)
    5. Breeze (restaurant)
    6. Siam Center (attraction)
    7. Siam Paragon (attraction)
    8. Terminal 21 (attraction)
    9. Health Land Spa (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note