Courtney Robinson

Los Angeles, California

Best air carrier to Bangkok?

Does anyone have any opinions on the best carrier to Bangkok? We're chosing between Cathy Pacific and Korean Air although there's a small possibility of using United. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

• Melissa Hogan

I've flown Korean Air but only on short distances and had no complaints (nothing standout either). I've heard great things about Cathay Pacific. Avoid United. I've had the odd good flight with them but generally...ugh.

One thing to consider though, do you collect frequent flyer points with any particular airline? That may influence who you book with.

Cathay is with the OneWorld alliance, Korean Air is with SkyTeam and United is with Star Alliance.

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

That's a really good point, Melissa--I actually don't have miles but maybe now is the time to start collecting them. Any you recommend? So far, Cathay is in the lead! · (0 likelikes)

• Melissa H.

Melissa H.

Here's one thing with points: if you have enough points in one program to book a flight, you can redeem them for any flight in that allinance, but you can't combine programs. For instance, if I have 50,000 Aeroplan points, I can use the AP system to book a flight with any Star Alliance partner. But I can't combine 25k Aeroplan points with 25k Lufthansa points to make up the 50k. So I'd say, all else equal, pick the airline you think you'll continue to earn points with (flying or otherwise). I collect Aeroplan since Air Canada is the major airline where I live. Chris Guillebeau (pioneer of "travel hacking", based in Portland) mostly collects with a OneWorld partner bc that works better for him. · (3 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Great advice, Melissa--I think I'm going to look into plans this weekend! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Melissa a Thank You Note