• Stephanie Lopilato
  • "Are there cool/fun things to do in Baltimore?"

Stephanie Lopilato

New York, New York

Are there cool/fun things to do in Baltimore?

I'm going to Baltimore for a weekend for work and haven't heard the best things about the area. Are there interesting things to do? Any fun activities? Would love to hear of some options of things I can do over the weekend! 

• Tiffany Weber

Absolutely!

The Inner Harbor is beautiful, clean, photogenic, and a great place to walk. You can tour the Historic Ships in Baltimore which include a submarine and the USS Constellation. It's incredibly interesting. The Maryland Science Center often has really fascinating exhibits, so though I wouldn't normally go there without children (it's mainly a hands-on children's museum), it's worth checking out any special exhibits. They had a mummy one a while back that was amazing. Check out the harbor tours as well. You can catch boats there and get out on the water.

Near the Inner Harbor (walkable) is Little Italy. Go there for lunch. Isabel's Pizza is my favorite pizza place there. It's fast, always packed, but so absolutely delicious and authentic. You can order one to go and walk to a nearby park (or the harbor) and eat there. If you want a classier sit down dinner, go to Chiapparelli's Restaurant. Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop is decent for coffee and a cannoli, but I'd avoid that - it's incredibly overpriced.

Catch a baseball game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. It's a cool area too. The Lexington Market is one of the oldest markets there. It's interesting. You can get oysters there and muscrat even, seasonally. Check their hours though - it does close in the early evening.

Go to Fort McHenry. It's IN Baltimore on the edge of the harbor, an easy drive/taxi from the Inner Harbor. Talk about serious history. That might be the perfect spot to enjoy your Isabel's Pizza. :)

See if there are any good shows at the Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric. That's in a pretty area as well with good restaurants nearby.

Do ask locals, be aware, and stick with more "touristy," well-known areas as the wrong district can be more dangerous, but Baltimore is a beautiful city with a lot of culture, art, and history. Enjoy it.

1. Inner Harbor (attraction)
    2. Historic Ships in Baltimore (attraction)
    3. Maryland Science Center (attraction)
    4. Little Italy (neighborhood)
    5. Isabel's Pizza (restaurant)
    6. Chiapparelli's Restaurant (restaurant)
    7. Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop (restaurant)
    8. Oriole Park at Camden Yards (attraction)
    9. Lexington Market (attraction)
    10. Fort McHenry (neighborhood)
    11. Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tiffany a Thank You Note