Kamrin Klauschie

El Dorado Hills, California

Places to live in Ubud, Bali

I'm a California girl moving to Ubud, Bali for the month of April and am looking for an affordable private bed and bath that could be aesthetically described using adjectives like: funky, unique, artsy, spiritual, modern, natural, inspiring, tranquil. I'm open to having flatmates. I absolutely must have a kitchen I can cook in. I'm also looking to rent a bike or motorized scooter/motorbike or both, so if there's transportation rentals included with the apartment that would be a major perk. 

1) What is the going rate for apartments per month? Should I wait to rent in person or get something online ASAP? 

According to Airbnb, it's anywhere between $500 - $1,000 USD and that seems inflated to me. I think there may be cheaper options once I arrive, but I'm not sure. I'm aiming for $500 - $600 per month including utilities and good wifi. 

2) Do you have any suggestions that would fit the bill? 

Thanks so much! 

Kam

• Christopher Barraud

airbnb isn't the best place to look at for what you're after. Most places in Ubud on that site are fully serviced. That being said, there are hundreds of long-stay apartments dotted around Bali with a lot of them in Ubud that cater to your requirements. Book yourself a place for a week near the town centre and ask around when you're there as most of these places are found by word-of-mouth.

Regarding the price, Ubud is perfect for the artsy/tranquil scene but it also has a higher price tag than the rest of the island. $600 a month is possible but as soon as they realise you're a Californian, they're gonna bump up the price. So prepare to negotiate.

When searching, make sure that you're actually getting Ubud. Many places advertise 'ubud' but are actually located on the other side of the island. You're not gonna find tranquil in a place like Kuta. Make sure you get the location clearly marked on a map.

Transportation is stupidly easy to get so don't stress if you don't find an apartment that'll throw in a scooter as you'll be able to hire one from a friend of a friend of a friend that you bump into on the corner of the street.

btw, good Internet is a relative term. Ubud doesn't really have any as their infrastructure is non-existent. If you're happy with email and whatnot, you'll be fine. Anything highspeed though is a luck of the draw. If you do find something, please share as I'm a content creator and have given up on the hunt for decent speeds in that town.

I noticed your background on your profile, I'd recommend you also speak to the team at hubud.org and see if they can help you.

• ·
    • ·

Send Christopher a Thank You Note