• Anthony Maggio
  • "How to divide time between Melbourne and Sydney? "

How to divide time between Melbourne and Sydney?

I'm planning to visit Austrlia for 9 days in September. I'm currently thinking of visiting Melbourne and Sydney, but having trouble determining how to divide up time and if I should add any other locations. It will be 5 adults on the trip, with primary interests in surfing, exploring cities, active-outdoors (ie. hiking, biking, etc), good restaurants and coffee. Ay ideas?

• Melbourne (city)

Melbourne Victoria

• Sydney (city)

Sydney New South Wales

• Manly (city)

Farlight Walk Manly Sydney (02) 9977 1088

• Sara McCleary

Hi Anthony,

I must admit I firmly belong to camp Sydney as that is my home town. September is a beautiful time of the year to visit. Sydney and Melbourne are completely different to each other. Sydney is surrounded by water and we have the gorgeous harbour. Melbourne has a more European vibe to it and is located on the Yarra River.

I personally would work out exactly what you would like to see in both cities. In regard to resaurants I believe both have amazing food on offer and can't say one is better than the other.

I will give you some suggestions for Sydney, and hopefully a Melblourne expert will add.

If you enjoy outdoor activities, I suggest a coastal walk in the Royal National Park in Sydney. Also there is a great walk along the coast from Bondi Beach to Bronte Beach . Hiking up in the Blue Mountains is also fantastic.

In regard to surfing all the beaches in Sydney are awesome. If you have a car available may I suggest heading a little out of Sydney and head to the Royal National Park and have a surf at Garie Beach during the week when it is quite.

Climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge is a must do. The view is amazing. I suggest doing a twilight walk, that way you have day time views heading up and then you get to see the night lights of Sydney on your way down. Plus you get to see the 'black rainbow' which is a shadow the bridge casts against the Sydney night sky. Only visible from the bridge.

Catch the ferry to Manly , go for a surf while you are there too. If you are in Sydney on the weekend jump on a ferry and head to Fort Denison for brunch or breakfast.

Any specific questions please feel free to ask me. There is just so much to do in Sydney ! For food in Sydney you can check out my food & travel blog www.bellyrumbles.com

• Anthony M.

Anthony M.

Thanks Sara, that's really helpful advice! Just one specific question for you -- do you know of any resorts or wineries within 1-2 hours of Sydney where we could to stay for a few days at the end of the trip? I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend somewhere for the last 2 nights before we depart. · (1 likelikes)

• Annemarie D.

Annemarie D.

Sara, is it possible to do Sydney as a long weekend trip from another part of the country, if you kept busy the entire time? · (1 likelikes)

• Sara M.

Sara M.

Hi Anthony, The Hunter Valley is just over 2 hours out of Sydney. Wineries and a nice place to relax for a couple of days. Alternatively you could head to the Blue Mountains, no wineries, but there are a couple of spa resorts up there. · (0 likelikes)

• Sara M.

Sara M.

Hi Annemarie, You could squeeze quite a bit of Sydney in on a long weekend. If you stay in the central area and don't venture further a field. I suggest staying in the city. · (1 likelikes)

• Alica B.

Alica B.

Well defined and informatively explained where to visit and what are the medium are being available. This is perfect answer according to me. · (0 likelikes)

1. Melbourne (city)
    2. Royal National Park (attraction)
    3. Bondi Beach (metro area)
    4. Bronte Beach (attraction)
    5. Blue Mountains (attraction)
    6. Garie Beach (attraction)
    7. Sydney Harbour Bridge (attraction)
    8. Manly (city)
    9. Fort Denison (attraction)
    10. Sydney (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sara a Thank You Note