• Janine Wilde
  • "Unique hotels in Downtown Austin for first week of January"

Janine Wilde

Seattle, Washington

Unique hotels in Downtown Austin for first week of January

My husband and I will be in Austin for a good friend's wedding the first week of January and we're also staying a few extra nights to explore the city because we've never been. I'd like to find a unique hotel to stay in in downtown because I'd like to be close to all the action! I don't care if it's a big chain or a small boutique hotel as long as I get a cool experience out of it. I'd like to find a place for less than $175 a night. If there are any particular parts of downtown where all the action is, we'd love to know. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• christina lowe

Great idea to spend a few extra days exploring. You'll find all the normal chain hotels in the heart of downtown which is mostly divided into 4 different areas: Dirty 6th, 5th Street (warehouse district), SoCo and Eastside.

Hotels worth considering:

• The Driskill Hotel -- old and in the heart of things. It's between the madness of dirty 6th (the bar strip), the Capitol building and the warehouse district (also a party strip). Check out their website. I've never stayed -- I've heard they have a ghost in some rooms (you have to ask for those rooms). I've also heard that sometimes the rooms are wonderful and sometimes just ok. But it's a gorgeous hotel rich in history.
    • Hotel San Jose -- in a wonderful area of Austin the locals call "SoCo." This hotel also has a great story but almost opposite that of The Driskill. It's a nice relaxing get away (even for locals) in the heart of a playful area. Close to everything you need to be near (SoCo is at its best at night) - pretty much because it's all grown up around it. This would be my first choice -- and it'd be where I send my friends (I'd send my mom to the Driskill).
    • Hotel Ella -- I saw this one just opening and was jealous. If you go here, tell me all about it. It's near the university and thus easy pedi-cab, cab, or walking distance to dirty 6th and the warehouse district (5th street).
    • The W Austin Hotel -- near town lake (excuse me, Lady Bird Lake -- they've renamed it... even tho it's more river than anything) and everything hip, new Austin, and up and coming. It's the W -- so rates may or may not be in your budget depending on what else is going on at the time. But it's the W, so you know what you're getting.

It's out of your budget but just for fun take a look at the Heywood Hotel . 7 rooms that fully embody what Austin is located a short walk to everywhere worth being. Completely worth looking at and drooling over.

Have fun while you're there! It's a great city!!!

• Janine W.

Janine W.

Wow, thank you so much, Christina. These all sound so amazing that we may have to go hotel hopping! I'm really curious about the Heywood now so I'll look that up just for fun! · (0 likelikes)

1. The Driskill Hotel (hotel)
    2. Hotel San Jose (hotel)
    3. Hotel Ella (hotel)
    4. The W Austin Hotel (hotel)
    5. Heywood Hotel (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send christina a Thank You Note