• Kristen Wagner-Patterson
  • "B&B, Vacation Rental or Hotel Recommendations under $150/night?"

Kristen Wagner-Patterson

Seattle, Washington

B&B, Vacation Rental or Hotel Recommendations under $150/night?

My husband and I love staying in places that have character. We're planning to head to Austin in late October for a week and would love to stay in a place our own - or in a nice hotel. 

• Style: Prefer B&Bs, Boutique Hotels, AirBnB/VRBO/HomeAway
  • Budget: Under $150
  • Length/Season: Last week of October thru the first week of November
  • Enjoy walking and being close to public transportation

• Eileen Schaubert

Your best option is a short term rental - Austin hotels are expensive. HomeAway/VRBO; AirBnB; Flipkey; and TurnKey all have rentals in Austin. Some owners cross post but check all four to get the best options. (I don't use Craigslist just because I like having reviews.)

Before booking, create your must see and do list to target the right neighborhood for your stay. Look at the available rentals then check your short list against transport options - Car2Go, ZipCar, Austin B-Cycle, CapMetro (buses and 1 light rail), plus taxis/Uber/Lyft (the latter two options may be legal by the time you arrive). RideScout is a great way to see multiple options all together in one list with estimated costs. A few blocks can make a big difference on the convenience factor of getting around.

My favorite neighborhoods are Downtown Austin, West End/Market (6th & Lamar), South Congress, South Lamar (lots of construction tho), Hyde Park, and some areas of East Austin. Stay within the core of the city if you like walking and public transit. I usually choose the neighborhood based on what activities I have planned so I can bike or walk most of the time.

Great answer, Eileen! Sounds a lot like San Francisco in terms of accommodations and transportation! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the neighborhoods in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :) · (1 likelikes)

• Kristen W.

Kristen W.

Thank you for the help! I ended up booking a spot on AirBnB in the E. Riverside area. Looks like I'm heading to Austin the same time as the F1 - so finding a place was a bit tricky. · (1 likelikes)

1. Downtown Austin (neighborhood)
    2. West End (neighborhood)
    3. South Congress (neighborhood)
    4. South Lamar (neighborhood)
    5. Hyde Park (neighborhood)
    6. East Austin (neighborhood)

• ·
    • ·

Send Eileen a Thank You Note