• Isabele Ferreira
  • "I'm going to Auckland and I'd like to know if it's easy to travel from there to other cities, and what's the best places to visit in New Zealand to beautiful view and adventure. Tks!"

Isabele Ferreira

Madrid, Spain

I'm going to Auckland and I'd like to know if it's easy to travel from there to other cities, and what's the best places to visit in New Zealand to beautiful view and adventure. Tks!

I wanna visit different cities in New Zealand going from Auckland in a weekend.

• Lisa Taylor

Wellington is a fantastic city with plenty of options.

For scenic spots to photograph I cannot recommed coming along a street in the Central Business District called Cuba St enough.
    It's filled with old buildings, new buildings, the The Bucket Fountain and is always a great spot to people watch. There's also a plethora of cafes to stop and have food, drinks and again people watch. (Everything from take away burgers, to pizza, coffee shops, sit down dining establishments, vegetarian options... the choices are endless!)

It's also nice and gentle for elder members of the community to just have a stroll along! Most of the city itself is relatively flat.
    There are also lots of car parking buildings around - which offer cheap parking from a few hours (perfect for when you're strolling on Cuba street!) to overnight which is something like $14 for the 10 hours. (Cheap compaired to on-street parking).

I also recommend Te Papa Tongarewa - Museum Of New Zealand it's a fantastic museum. It has a lot to keep everyone entertained from kids to seniors. There's a lot of NZ History... and everything from Fashion to Science, and Geology! Even as a local, I can spend hours in there wandering around, learning new things. Some of their exhibits do have a charge (there's one gallery area which is always a 'pay to view' area). But the rest of it is free. It has great disability access too - lots of lifts and I think they let people borrow wheelchairs from down in the foyer!

Another spot I enjoy, for photography and the views is to head to the look out at Mount Victoria Lookout (Look here for more info:

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/sights-activities/film-locations/mount-victoria-lookout ) has amazing views over the city. You can see the suburbs too from the Hutt areas to Karori, Brooklyn, the airport... the views go forever!

The Ferry Terminal is easy to find as well, it's not far from the Wellington Train Station! The Wellington Railway Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Railway_Station is the largest brick building in the southern hemisphere. Right next door (and across the road) on Bunny Street is a large wooden building called the 'Victoria University Law School'. It is the largest wooden building in the Southern Hemisphere. It used to be a part of the Parliamentary Library Both locations are great for photography as well as to see the history. The Law School is still in use by Victoria University today. Also visit Parliament if you're interested in NZ Politics and history. You can do a free public tour on the hour every hour if I remember correctly:
    http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/about-parliament/visiting/
    There's no photography in parts of the building, but it's a great place to visit and the grounds also have some lovely gardens. Again they are well set up with wheelchair access and cater tours depending on who is in them. So can take longer for seniors if needed (due to walking a bit slower, or whatever is needed).

I think you will all find that Wellington City is a great place to visit. There are a lot of places to see and visit. But the ones above are the ones I would recommend the most.

This is what I wrote for someone going to Wellington for 12 hours, I am sure you could do much the same things, although of course if you were there for a day or two you would have more time to explore, Wellington city. It's a beautiful place! There are a lot of hotels in the CBD area, there are plenty of money machines (ATMs), Banks which offer currency exchange are plentiful.
    The Botanical Gardens are another beautiful spot if you'd like to spend a day looking at plants, trees and people watching! It's a great place to have a picnic too.

1. Cuba Street (attraction)
    2. The Bucket Fountain (attraction)
    3. Te Papa Tongarewa - Museum Of New Zealand (attraction)
    4. Mount Victoria Lookout (attraction)
    5. Wellington Railway Station (attraction)
    6. Parliamentary Library (attraction)
    7. Botanical Gardens (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lisa a Thank You Note