• Saro Gunaseelan
  • "Are you a backpacker? What goes on into your planning?"

Saro Gunaseelan

Seattle, Washington

Are you a backpacker? What goes on into your planning?

Being in Twitter, and reading up on several blog articles from travel bloggers mainly backpackers, I am fascinated about their travel habits.

Age, family commitments, time, etc. can make it difficult for everyone to wander off in a carefree manner. But to a backpacker, I don't think these things apply. Am I wrong? 

What makes a backpacking trip so exciting? Is it the sense of adventure, discovering new places, culture, food at your own pace?

I am sure there is some level of planning to the extent of zeroing in on destinations, POIs - but beyond that what's the state of mind like? Is it more like "let me get there, check myself into a budget hotel/motel, and then simply wander around and indulge myself?". Or be razor focused on important attractions to make the trip a worth while one.

Thanks for your answers!

• Ross Sparks

Hello, there aren't a lot of no strings, budget travelers here but most are in our top ten lol. I think I am an example of the travelers you are asking about. And in my experience it takes a lot more planning and research to travel in this style. I do a ton of research before I go, so I can have the care free no strings expirieance once I'm there. I am very seriouse about not checking a bag and only having reservations for my first and last night of my trip, if that. This is the only way to get this experience and there is a certain amount of risk involved, you never know were you are staying for the night and that can be a deal breaker for some people.

The reason I travel the way I do is because of many things that I missed out on during trips. there were so many times I missed out on something because I had to be in a different location to get to my hotel or I would lose money. So I just stopped booking hotels, and have never looked back! I do prepare for the inevitable and always bring my "hennesse jungle hammock" and i have had a lot of luck in Central America asking a hostle if I can string it up for a couple of bucks. And of course this doesn't work in urban environments but it's being resourceful and thinking on your feet that make this style of travel work. Also it's hard to travel this way and do major festivals or holidays for obvious reasons.

Why is it exiting?! I don't know how to answer that without being generic lol! I guess it's simple... You wake up and ask yourself " what do I want to do today? And that's the best part, did you plan on going to that museum today? Well maybe tomorrow, I'm going to eat and drink on the beach with my new friends today. Or... Man Moroccos only 30 miles away, I guess we're going to Africa! These are just a couple of examples but thats the best part, you never know who you'll meet, what you'll eat, or were you'll be! Once you have tasted this freedom you will either embrace it or hate it!

And as far as luggage goes, I laugh when I see a suitcase or Rolly luggage it's a sure sign that that person has never been anywhere interesting lol! Bring a Rolly suitcase to the places I go and you will be in a world of trouble.

Good luck and don't worry the world isn't that scary and home town USA is usually the most dangerous place you visit!

http://wanderingross.com/

• ·
    • ·

Send Ross a Thank You Note