• Supun Edirisinghe
  • "what do do during a few hours layover at AMS?"

Supun Edirisinghe

Carson (California), California

what do do during a few hours layover at AMS?

I arrive at 11:20am on a Thursday and my next flight leaves at 10:25pm that same night.

What do you recommend I try to do while I have a few hours? I've never been to Amsterdam, so I'd like to take the opportunity to see what it's like outside the airport.

Should I be ok gettting back to the airport by 7pm? Should I just jump on the train to the central station? Recommendations for a nice, cheap place to eat or drink tea while people watching are most welcome.

What should I be sure to do during my short time?

• An Drea

Getting to the city from the Airport is very quick and easy in Amsterdam. Just jump on the first train (train station is directly IN the airport terminal) and you'll be there within 20 minutes. This'll leave you with plenty of time to get a small impression of Amsterdam.

There is so much to do and so much to see in this city, but as you only have a few hours; I would definitely start with a canal cruise. I know it sounds very touristy, but t is the perfect way of going around what the city is famous for: It's ENECO listed canal belt. Cruises cost about 15 euro's, last about 1,5 hours and leave right opposite Central Station.

Amsterdam is full of nice little cafes to have coffee and lunch, most of them very reasonably prices. You can definitely have lunch under 10 euro's. A lovely place not too far from Central Station is Vinnies Deli on Nieuwezijds Kolk if you are into health food.

Also close to Central Station is the Red Light District, which is probably the safest area of Amsterdam and off course a neighborhood it's famous for. There's lots of cheap places to eat; varying from pizza to burgers to crepes. As the city's Asia town is sort of spread over this area there's lots of different Asian cuisine to be found here. The Red Light District hosts lots of bars, coffee shops and red lights, but also plenty of nice shops and touristy shops.

On the East side of Central Station, about a 5 minute walk away you'll find the public library (in front of the very obvious and hard to miss Restaurant Sea Palace) It has 7 floors and if you go to the top you get a nice view over the city. (admission is obviously free and it's open till 10pm)

And then there's the option of taking a Tram 1, 2 or 5 to Museum Square (tickets can be purchased on the tram) and visit the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum Amsterdam or Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam (Contemporary Art) They all charge approx. 15 euro's each, with the Rijks and the Van Gogh online pre booking is advised. Same goes for the Anne Frank House, which is in Central Amsterdam.

Hope you have a great time!

• Supun E.

Supun E.

Thanks for the recommendations. if you tag the places you suggested by typing the @ sign + the name of the place, trippy will magically create a map and link your answer to other answers that mention the same place. cheers · (0 likelikes)

1. Vinnies Deli (restaurant)
    2. Red Light District (attraction)
    3. Restaurant Sea Palace (restaurant)
    4. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
    5. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
    6. Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam (attraction)
    7. Anne Frank House (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send An a Thank You Note