• Justine Gershak
  • "What to do in Amsterdram for two days?"

Justine Gershak

Elmhurst, Illinois

What to do in Amsterdram for two days?

Hey! My best friend and I are taking on Amsterdam in September and are looking to live like a local would. Where are the best places to eat, shop, activities? We'd love to be outside as much as possible. We're both in our mid-late 20's and would love a recommendation on where to stay. Budget isn't really an issue but we'd love recommendations on somewhere not too expensive!

• Anne Frank House (attraction)

Prinsengracht 263-267 Amsterdam 1000 AS 020 556 7105

• Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)

1 Jan Luijkenstraat Amsterdam 1071 CJ 020 674 7000

• Van Gogh Museum (attraction)

7 Paulus Potterstraat Amsterdam 1071 CX 020 570 5200

• Sabine van der Horst

Hi Justine,

So many things to do, so little time :-).

Most tourist stay within the canal area, which is such a shame. There is so much to see and do outside this touristy area (which is beautiful if you dismiss all the tourists :-) ).

I would recommend to stay one day within this area to see the highlights and the other day to do some out of the box things.

So this is your more tourist itinerary, but still really nice:

Wake up early to go to some museums. I would just do two at the max. I love Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. Beautiful building and you will see some fine Dutch art (Rembrandt, Vermeer, van Gogh etc.). You can spend a whole day here. I would also recommend Anne Frank Housebut buy tickets in advance, otherwise you spend at least one hour in line.

Walk around de Jordaanarea, which I think is beautiful. Go to Noordermarkton a Saturday for some local goods and products (not your touristy souvenir market at all). Walk to Haarlemmerstraatfor some nice shops and also just walk along the Brouwersgracht(I think the most beautiful canal in Amsterdam). Also go to the Negen Straatjes(nine little streets), for some nice boutique stores.

Skip the Red light district! But if you must, go to Mata Harifor lunch or a quick bite. This is almost the only nice place in this area.

On your second day go outside of the canals and just explore. Like Lauren says, just walk (or bike) around and don't worry about getting lost. Also, just ask a local for directions, we don't bite :-). Go to the West area of town around De Clercqstraat and Bellamyplein. Here you will find Foodhallen, kind of an indoor foodcourt, but then with nice food, a huge bar and just a general good atmosphere. It is always really busy though!

Go to the De Pijp neighborhood around Gerard Doustraat and Gerard Douplein. Here is where mostly locals go for a drink on the weekend. Chill out at Sarphatipark if the weather permits. And just take some side streets randomly. You will find a nice store, cafe, coffeeplace, little restaurant anywhere :-)

I live in the east part of town, which I think is the best part :-). If you go to Beukenpleinyou can find several great bars and restaurants. No tourist will go here. Go to Bar Bukowski or Henry's Barfor a drink and go have dinner at de Biertuin (this is sort of a trendy beergarden). Or to Smokin' Barrels for great hamburgers and lobster. In the 'middle eastern' part of town at around Javastraatyou will find more and more nice stores, cafes and restaurants opening. Such as Walter's - The Walter Woodbury Bar and Wilde zwijnen.

Hotel recommendations for this part of town: Volkshotel or Hotel Arena.

I would recommend renting a bike for this second day. Just makes these areas a little bit more accessible. Amsterdam is not big, but if you just have 2 days, you are just everywhere a little bit faster (don't try public transport, it is horrible). Just be careful! We Dutchies go fast on our bikes! Just keep to the right and watch out!

• Justine G.

Justine G.

Thank you again for your recommendations! We are looking to book three dinner reservations and already have one at Toscanini (I heard good things). Any other recommendations? Would love your recommendations! · (0 likelikes)

• Sabine v.

Sabine v.

Toscanini is really nice :-), good choice! Where are you staying? Maybe I can recommend something within walking distance of your hotel/apartment. If you are staying in the east part, check out my recommendations above: Biertuin, Smokin' Barrels, Walter Woodbury and Wilde Zwijnen. They are all worth a bike ride even if you are not staying in East. I LOVE Rotisserie Rijsel http://rijsel.com/en/ (and so do thousands of other people, so reservations in advance are a must). I think this is one of my favorite restaurants ever. The food is rustic and amazing. The service is really outstanding (and the waiters are hot too :-) ) This is also in East part of town. · (0 likelikes)

1. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
    2. Anne Frank House (attraction)
    3. Jordaan (neighborhood)
    4. Noordermarkt (unknown)
    5. Haarlemmerstraat (neighborhood)
    6. Brouwersgracht (unknown)
    7. Negen Straatjes (attraction)
    8. Mata Hari (restaurant)
    9. De Clercqstraat (unknown)
    10. Bellamyplein (unknown)
    11. Foodhallen (restaurant)
    12. De Pijp (attraction)
    13. Gerard Doustraat (unknown)
    14. Gerard Douplein (unknown)
    15. Sarphatipark (attraction)
    16. Beukenplein (neighborhood)
    17. Bar Bukowski (restaurant)
    18. Henry's Bar (restaurant)
    19. de Biertuin (attraction)
    20. Smokin' Barrels (restaurant)
    21. Javastraat (neighborhood)
    22. Walter's - The Walter Woodbury Bar (restaurant)
    23. Wilde zwijnen (restaurant)
    24. Volkshotel (hotel)
    25. Hotel Arena (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sabine a Thank You Note