Sam Ramsey

London, United Kingdom

Good food in Amsterdam

What are some foods and restaurants that I must try while I'm in Amsterdam?  I'm not looking for the world's best restaurant or anything too fancy, but I'd like to try what the city and country are known for.  I've heard all about the red light district, bars, clubs, etc, but I've not heard much about the food, so any help would be appreciated!  

By the way, wheelchair accessibility to restaurants is important as my mum is in a wheelchair and will be with me part of the time.  I don't know what the wheelchair regulations in the country are like, but thought that would be worth mentioning.

• Beb van Klaveren

Hi there,

I'm not gonna give you restaurant tips but tips for small/cheap bites. Here are the two cents from a local. (Locals don't eat pancakes ;)

* The best Flemish fries you eat at Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx , near Spui (Voetboogsteeg 33).
    * The best Surinam food you eat at Roopram Roti near Albert Cuyp Markt (Van Woustraat 37). Order a Roti Chicken Special. Definitely a winner!
    * The best thai food you eat at Bird near Nieuwmarkt (Zeedijk 77) but this is not very good accessible with a wheelchair. Should you do go, choose the small version of The Bird (the snackbar) and not the restaurant which is across the snackbar.
    * Another hidden tasting-gem is Small World Catering near Haarlemmerstraat (Binnen Oranjestraat 14). Perfect for lunch, great fresh juices. The focaccia with chicken/avocado/red onion/mayonaise/rocket/olive oil is my favorite there.

And stay away from commercial cheese shops (you'll know when you see them). Plenty of great cheese shops like Abraham Kef, de Franse Kaasmakers , Tromp Kaashuis , De Kaaskamer and more.

Bon Appétit!

• Frank K.

Frank K.

Spot on! · (0 likelikes)

Amazing recommendations, Beb! I can't wait to go back to Amsterdam and try all these places! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer! :) · (0 likelikes)

• Sam R.

Sam R.

Brilliant, Beb! I appreciate cheese very much, so thank you for the great suggestions. These all sound great! · (0 likelikes)

1. Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx (restaurant)
    2. Spui (attraction)
    3. Roopram Roti (restaurant)
    4. Albert Cuyp Markt (attraction)
    5. Bird (attraction)
    6. Nieuwmarkt (attraction)
    7. Small World Catering (restaurant)
    8. Haarlemmerstraat (attraction)
    9. Abraham Kef, de Franse Kaasmakers (restaurant)
    10. Tromp Kaashuis (attraction)
    11. De Kaaskamer (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Beb a Thank You Note