• Janelle Trumer
  • "First time in Amsterdam. Please help with my two day itinerary."

Janelle Trumer

Salzburg, Austria

First time in Amsterdam. Please help with my two day itinerary.

Hoping to get your advice! My boyfriend and I have decided to splurge on a two-day excursion to Amsterdam during our trip to Rotterdam because we’ve heard so many incredible things about it. We’ve been scouring the Internet for what we want to see and I’m trying to create an itinerary from our list. I’ve tried to organize it by area but I’m really not sure if what I’ve put together will work so I’d love some advice--neither of us has been there and we want to make the most out of every minute!

First day (we’re taking an early train here so hoping to get into town around 10 or so):
Waterlooplein Flea Market (we think maybe 2-3 hours for this)
The Red Light District (I could easily skip this but my boyfriend is curious--allowing 1 hour for this at most)
Oude Kerk Church (one hour?)
Vakbondsmuseum (this is really more for the architecture than the museum itself, so we would be quick here--maybe an hour?)
Late lunch or early dinner somewhere on the Rembrantplein (would love a recommendation)
Albert Cuypmarkt or the Bloemenmarkt (need help deciding)
Need dinner recommendation

Second day:
The Van Gogh Museum (is two hours enough for this?)
Rijksmuseum (is an hour or so enough for this?)
Lunch--we would love a recommendation for a nice outdoor place here if possible
Head over to the Anne Frank museum -- what is the best way to get here? We were thinking either by boat or even bike if possible so we can be outside and see everything
Anne Frank museum (we really want to take our time here--is two hours enough?)
Either the Theater Museum or the Looier Antiques Center
Need early dinner recommendation in area
Taking last train at 8 pm

Looking forward to any suggestions or feedback you have!

• Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)

1 Jan Luijkenstraat Amsterdam 1071 CJ 020 674 7000

• Noordermarkt (attraction)

9-3 Noordermarkt Amsterdam 1015 MV 020 551 2512

• Van Gogh Museum (attraction)

7 Paulus Potterstraat Amsterdam 1071 CX 020 570 5200

• Martina Magorin Borg

Waterlooplein : not super fun, kinda small and in genareal a bit dogie if you don't wanna buy locks for your bike and stuff. I'd rather go to the pijp (Albert Cuypmarkt) for that wish is a much nicer area and more relaxed.

The Red Light District : If your going here it sould most def be dark, nothing really happens until 8 ish at night. But there's a great resturant at the top: really sweet hipster vibe with great food called Mata Hari . And also great Chines food at Oriental City down the road.

Oude Kerk : You don't need an hour for this.

Vakbondsmuseum : never been so can't really say.

Late lunch or early dinner somewhere on the Rembrandtplein : rembrant is kind of messy, real turist trap, would rather have lunch in A De Jordaan at Cafe George or if your out in the De Pijp instead go to Boca's for tapas platters, or Little Collins for great brunch.

Albert Cuypmarkt or the Bloemenmarkt (need help deciding): Albert Cuypmarkt most def, you can go through the flowermarket if you pas it, but it's kinda short.

Need dinner recommendation: Balthazar's Keuken for epic dutch food or Moeders is also great.

Second day:
    The Van Gogh Museum (is two hours enough for this?): yep
    Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (is an hour or so enough for this?): This museum is huge, you can easily spend a day here so i would choose one. Either VGM or Rijks.
    Lunch: Maybe at
    Head over to the Anne Frank House : rent bikes first day, super sweet to get around that way. Else just take the tram.
    Always a long cue to the museum but, if you realle wanna go you'd just have to wait it out. Not super fun museum though.

Need early dinner recommendation in area: Balthazar and cafe George is in the jordaan if you don't go there the first day.

Great suggestions, Martina! Thanks for sharing! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer! :) · (1 likelikes)

• Janelle T.

Janelle T.

Thank you very much for your insight Martina! This is very helpful. I am looking forward to those neighborhoods and restaurants! · (0 likelikes)

1. Waterlooplein (attraction)
    2. Red Light District (attraction)
    3. Mata Hari (restaurant)
    4. Oriental City (restaurant)
    5. Oude Kerk (attraction)
    6. Vakbondsmuseum (attraction)
    7. Rembrandtplein (attraction)
    8. De Jordaan (attraction)
    9. Cafe George (restaurant)
    10. De Pijp (attraction)
    11. Boca's (restaurant)
    12. Little Collins (restaurant)
    13. Albert Cuypmarkt (attraction)
    14. Bloemenmarkt (attraction)
    15. Balthazar's Keuken (restaurant)
    16. Moeders (restaurant)
    17. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
    18. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
    19. Anne Frank House (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Martina a Thank You Note