• Erin B
  • "Best way to see the Amazon Rainforest in South America?"

Erin B

Salt Lake City, Utah

Best way to see the Amazon Rainforest in South America?

Taking a trip into South America and looking for the best way/options to see the Amazon. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

We will be in South America for 3 months and can dedicate 1-2 weeks to the Amazonas. What is the cheapest option to get there? Either via plane or boat and through which country? I am on a backpacker budget so the cheaper options are the best but I am willing to splurge if it's really worth it!

Places we are already visiting are: Rio De Janeiro and Sao Paulo in Brazil, Lima and Cusco in Peru, La Paz in Bolivia, Guayaquil in Ecuador, and Bogota and Cartagena in Columbia.

The main thing I am looking for when visiting is to see wildlife, possibly trek/hike, see the Amazon River, and see the canopies. Do you have to get a tour or can you trek the Amazonas without one? If so, any recommendations would be great. Thank you!!

• Bridy Frett

What time of the year will you be there? This will make a huge difference in your options.

I flew into Manaus in June, 2006. This was at the peak of high water season that year - the river was 30 feet higher than low water season. We were told the high water mark that year was only slightly higher than average. High fast moving water also means fewer bugs/misquotes - and definite plus!

During this time of the year, the Rio Amazonas (Amazon River) triples in width so a boat is necessary to move between areas of high land. We booked an Amazon River Cruise aboard the Amazon Clipper. http://www.viverde.com.br/amazon_clipper_i.html Our 4 day 3 night journey had 8 guests (16 max) from 3 countries - it was an awesome adventure!!

Highlights include visiting the "Meeting of the Waters" (where the Negro (dark water) and Solimoes (tan water) rivers meet, but do not mix), fishing for and eating Piranha, hiking through the jungle (swinging on a vine, drinking pure water from a freshly cut plant that filters it, etc.), canoeing through flooded areas of the jungle, and meeting people from one of the hundreds of native tribes. At dusk, they'd tie to the boat up to the top of a short'ish tree (remember, we're up to 30 ft above the ground) to anchor us for the night. After dinner, we'd take the canoe out to look for caimans (relatives of crocodile), sloths, snakes, etc. In late evening, we'd drink caipirinhas (national drink of Brazil) on the deck, star gaze, and listen to the wildlife. The tour guides were fabulous - their English was excellent (including use of humor and sarcasm!), they answered our non-stop questions, and even customized the trip based on the interest of the guests. It was a magical experience!

Rio Amazonas

Rio AmazonasRio AmazonasRio Amazonas

1. Manaus (city)
    2. Rio Amazonas (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Bridy a Thank You Note