• Larry Cohan
  • "Alaska trip in late summer of 2015"

Larry Cohan

Chicago, Illinois

Alaska trip in late summer of 2015

My wife and I are planning a (perhaps) once in a lifetime trip to Alaska next summer at the end of August. We want to take a cruise (our first) from Seattle or nearby and see as much of the land as is possible. Time is not a problem. We will be in our early 60's but in very good health. We enjoy culture and nature. Our budget is flexible. Looking forward to your help. Thanks.

• Scott Mahaffy

Hello Larry! My wife and I just finished planning a 12 day trip through southeast Alaska for next July. We are doing it a little differently, however, as we wanted to have more flexibility than a cruise offers. Don't get me wrong, this would be a great place to cruise, we just wanted to have a little more time in some areas and wanted to dictate our own schedule. The first thing I will tell you, is the Alaska Marine Highway System is a fantastic way to see this area. It can get you into some areas that the cruise ships cannot go. Plus, we felt like some areas deserved more than a day, or just one activity to choose from. We are flying into Sitka from Seattle, and just using the marine highway system to go to Juneau, Gustavus, which is a small town and gateway to Glacier Bay National Park, and then down to Petersburg. We felt it was a great way to give ourselves some time, freedom and flexibility, while taking advantage of the scenery on a boat, in between ports. It is a great website, where you can go in, check schedules and itineraries very easily, and it was just fun to watch the trip unfold. A much more expensive, but quicker option, is to take flights between cities/towns, which obviously gives you more time in a particular area of interest. We felt like being on the boat, was part of the journey here. Just another alternative to consider that will give more freedom, if you want it. Safe travels!

• Larry C.

Larry C.

Are you renting a boat and piloting it yourselves? · (0 likelikes)

• Scott M.

Scott M.

No. The marine highway system is a ferry system. I'll send you a link to their website. We have a few overnights as well on some of the longer passages, but even on those, you get a private berth and bathroom. Obviously you aren't going to get the amenities of a cruise ship, but felt like this was a little more "authentic." We've had family members who have done a traditional cruise and loved it, so don't let me steer you away. This was our choice on how we wanted and I thought it was a fun, interesting and different way to do it. Here's the link! http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ · (0 likelikes)

1. Sitka (city)
    2. Juneau (city)
    3. Gustavus (city)
    4. Glacier Bay National Park (park)
    5. Petersburg (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Scott a Thank You Note