• Tandy Lewis
  • "Hotels and/or spas in Aix-en-Provence"

Tandy Lewis

Miami, Florida

Hotels and/or spas in Aix-en-Provence

I'm looking into visiting Europe in the spring, including Aix-en-Provence, and was wondering if anyone had any hotel and spa recommendations.  It doesn't have to be a hotel with a spa at all.  I'm looking for a moderately nice hotel that's in a central location so that I can get around easily, and for the spa, I'm open to anything and would especially love to go where the locals go.

• Courtney Robinson

Tandy--Aix is one of my most favorite spots on the planet and when I go, I stay at a place called Ateliers du Soleil (more info here). It's a private house run by an artist who teaches oil painting lessons (which you don't have to take to stay there). The house has belonged to her family for generations and is divided into different apartments, each of which is decorated in very traditional Provencal style and is absolutely lovely. She rents them out for a very reasonable price--I don't see anything on her site about prices but I'm sure she'll respond if you email her.

One of the most well-known spas in Aix is the Thermes Sextius - Spa . If I'm remembering correctly, they have a hammam there which is amazing if you've never done it before (it's basically a series of very hot rooms). When you go, ask for a "grommage". It's a serious scrub that gets rid of all your dead skin cells. You feel like a newborn baby when it's over.

Thermes does have hotel there called Hotel Aquabella . I've never stayed there but I've heard it's great.

• Tandy L.

Tandy L.

Ateliers du Soleil sounds so... European! I'll check them out for sure. The other places sound great too. Thank you so much Courtney! · (0 likelikes)

• Juliette P.

Juliette P.

Like Courtney said, the Thermes Sextius is the most well known spa - and also the best in the area, according to one of my friends who lives in Aix since about 20 years, so I would highly recommand it. Les Ateliers du Soleil is located in a cute neighborhood, so even if I've never been in the hotel I can recommand you to visit a bit the area, there is a bio home-made beauty mask/soap/etc shop with really interesting prices, and another shop with about thousands of spices, flavoured oils, gingerbread, etc.. ( and the manager of the latter will probably told you everything about the things to do in the city if you ask her ) ( oh, and I allow myself to correct Courtney about a tiny detail, it's "gommage" and not "grommage" I think :) ) · (2 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Yes, you're right, Juliette--I think it is gommage! And I think I know that store you're talking about--I'll do a little research and see if I can find out the name. If you find it before me, it would be great if you could post it as an answer here (rather than in comments)! · (1 likelikes)

• Tandy L.

Tandy L.

Wow, thank you so much, Juliette! I will visit that area for sure! It sounds absolutely amazing! :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Ateliers du Soleil (hotel)
    2. Thermes Sextius - Spa (attraction)
    3. Hotel Aquabella (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note