Emily Brennan

Chicago, Illinois

Airfare & Airline Hacks

What are your favorite tips and tricks for getting the biggest bang for your airfare buck? How do you find the best airfare? When is the best time to book? Have you had luck being upgraded? How do you make the most of frequent flier miles?

Please include any airline details where applicable!

• Jake Vanags

Finding Cheap Airfare:

1) Use the ITA Matrix to find the cheapest fare at any point in time with highly customizable search filters. Learn how to use the ITA Martix here.

2) When searching for international fares, include searches on ITA Matrix, Momondo, Skyscanner and Kayak.

3) Subscribe to, and follow on social media, The Flight Deal (and any number of blogs like The Points Guy and Million Mile Secrets).

4) Set fare alerts at Airfarewatchdog.com.

When to book:

I have not found much clarity here, but booking 8 weeks out seems to be a good time. Waiting for last second deals is a possibility if you're flexible. Flying on Tue, Wed and Sat tend to be cheaper.

Upgrades:

Being a high-tier member with an airline's frequent flyer program will give you greater priority over lower tiers and the general passenger if they have upgrades available. I'm not a great expert on this one as I tend to maximize my frequent flyer points by choosing more flights over less (but upgraded) flights.

Frequent Flyer Points:

I haven't paid full airfare for a flight in over 3 years, while saving over $40,000+ for myself and $30,000+ for others by hustling the miles and points game. I've also been able to fly business and first class for just the price of taxes and fees. This last year alone I flew to 31 destinations around the world. The retail cost would have been $22,000+, but I only paid $497 out-of-pocket.

It's way too much to explain here, but you can sign up for free training (or the full training package) over at our website. So that I'm not biased, you can also check out blogs like Million Mile Secrets or MileValue who will give you the same information, but broken up and scattered into tons of different blog posts. Either way, if you want to travel hack, any of these places are a good place to start!

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

Amazing tips - thanks for sharing! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jake a Thank You Note