• Marie Fritz
  • "Always wanted to go to the country...time to get specific!"

Marie Fritz

Whitewater, Wisconsin

Always wanted to go to the country...time to get specific!

What is the best country to go to in Africa to get a great feel for culture, safety, and of course safaris!

• Polly B.

Polly B.

I think you meant continent in your question - keep that in mind when talking to people in Africa, as there's a stereotype that Americans think it's all one big country! ;) · (1 likelikes)

• Polly Beam

If you're looking for a classic safari, that narrows your choices down to less than ten countries - Tanzania , Botswana , Kenya , Zambia , and South Africa included. Tanzania and Kenya are especially known for their national wildlife parks. Tanzania might be what you're looking for - it's a fairly safe country with great safaris, as well as being home to Mount Kilimanjaro ! Meanwhile, Zambia has (half of) Victoria Falls and Botswana has the Okavango Delta .

Of the countries listed above, I've only been to South Africa. I loved it! Cape Town is the most beautiful city I've ever been to. Going to the top of Table Mountain National Park is memorable for the scenery and the little dassies that live at the top. The Garden Route is great for food and wine, with gorgeous scenery. Tsitsikama National Park is absolutely breathtaking. Farther north, Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve and Golden Gate Highlands National Parkoffer different kinds of natural beauty.

As far as safari parks go, Kruger National Park is one of the best-known in the world. You can see all the the big five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino) within its borders along with many other animals. Within the park, there are many camps of varying comfort levels you can stay in overnight, driving from one to another during the day. I'd also recommend going to a smaller, private park like Shamwari Game Reserve - you typically see more animals in a shorter period of time and it's interesting to be able to compare the two experiences.

Amazing recommendations, Polly! Surprised that Africa isn't listed in your "Places I know". It should be! Thanks for sharing this :) · (0 likelikes)

• Polly B.

Polly B.

Thanks Debbie! I'll add it. :) · (1 likelikes)

1. Tanzania (country)
    2. Botswana (country)
    3. Kenya (country)
    4. Zambia (country)
    5. South Africa (country)
    6. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)
    7. Victoria Falls (attraction)
    8. Okavango Delta (country)
    9. Cape Town (city)
    10. Table Mountain National Park (amusement park)
    11. The Garden Route (unknown)
    12. Tsitsikama (unknown)
    13. Blyde River Nature Reserve (attraction)
    14. Golden Gate Highlands National Park (attraction)
    15. Kruger National Park (amusement park)
    16. Shamwari Game Reserve (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Polly a Thank You Note