• Kim Dayman
  • "*TMI* - Dealing with your menstrual cycle on the road"

Kim Dayman

Canada

*TMI* - Dealing with your menstrual cycle on the road

I'm not holding back on this post which includes information on women's menstrual cycles and feminine hygiene products so reader beware!

----------------------

Okay ladies! I'm headed out for my first long trip that will span a couple of my monthly cycles. Plumbing, sanitation and waste systems will be different from what I am used to and I'll be looking to tackle some sporty activities while abroad. 

I've always used fairly traditional pads, tampons, liners but am concerned about access, sanitation and packing supplies while I'm gone. A friend suggested to me a menstrual cup (so many brands now to chose from) and know a lot of women travellers swear by them. But I also hear they take a while to get used to and a couple cycles until you're comfortable with them and at this point will only have one cycle to practice with before I'm off. 

I'd love to hear recommendations of what you use while travelling, experiences which would be helpful to share, troubleshooting when in less then ideal conditions etc. I know this is a touchy topic for some to talk about so publicly for some women but sharing information can be so helpful! 

• Marie-Eve Dugas

I agree with the 2 previous answers about the Lady/Diva Cup, although this could change depending on your destination. If running water and toilet paper are a rare commodity where you are going, I'd advise against it, unless you make sure, as Patricia suggested, to have lots of tissues and a bottle of water on hand.

I also travelled with OB tampons (w/o applicator). They are light, don't take much space, and a good alternative if the Diva Cup isn't suitable.

• ·
    • ·

Send Marie-Eve a Thank You Note